Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2013

#10 US Invitational Thurs Oct 31 2013


#10 US Invitational

2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Thursday October 31 2013

By Melinda Clements

 

          “Pressure is good otherwise I would be setting up in the stands,” commented Colorado Heeler Clay Keller.  “Actually the less I think about it the better I rope.  I just want to keep the basics in my mind.”

          Seems like pretty solid advice for anyone looking at the sport of team roping.  Perhaps the key is to slow it down, make it happen and grab the gusto.  It seems like a pretty good game plan for those looking to do well in this business.

          As a new addition to the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping the #10 Invitational seems to have a good attraction and popularity for ropers who are involved.

          “I love the format,” Keller commented. “You don’t have to beat five hundred teams.  You go rope at the big money and the format keeps it all in check.  I think it is great!”

          “It is a great set up, a terrific format,” Colorado header, Jody York collaborated. “You have great prizes, good money, the saddles and you are able to maintain your energy and stay focused.”

          Keller and York was the second high team back going into the short go round of the #10 US Invitational.  The pair had just watched the third high team of Junior Hernandez and Rene Cervantes take the lead in the average with a time of 41.74 seconds.  York and Keller needed a time of 14.11 to move Hernandez and Cervantes.  It was certainly something they could do.  It was merely a good mistake free practice run.

          When York and Keller backed into the box they just wanted to rope this last steer clean and mistake free.  Roping together for the last five or six years proved to be an advantage because the pair knows each other’s mindset and they have the same goals.

          “You tend to operate on adrenaline in a roping like this one,” Keller said. “Pressure is good and helps you stay on track.”

          As the pair took their place in the box to rope there was little time to worry.  It was what it was.  The point was to utilize the opportunity they had been given.

          When the clock stopped the numbers read 10.17 with one team left to rope.  York and Keller had secured second place in the average with a time of 37.79 seconds on their four steers.  Whatever happened next was out of their hands.

          The surprise came when the high team back failed to make a qualified run.  Who would have thought?  York and Keller were ecstatic. 

          As the pair posed for pictures and did interviews one thing became obvious.  The pair had committed to each other and roped well.  It just plainly takes hard work.

          “I guess as a woman I do have to work a little harder,” York said. “I’m not as strong, my horse is not as strong but you never ever give up. You keep trying and you keep working at it. You have to keep working at winning.”

          “I love the roping, I love the format, I love what the USTRC is doing and I’m excited about this win,” Keller laughed. “I’m going to use this win to make sure all my runs are paid for. It is a good way to do things and I’ll continue to rope.”

          It appears there is a new trend out there. It is popular, fun and competitive.  The #10 Invitational seems to have kicked off with a promising start.  Regardless, winning is a good thing especially combined with a bit of pressure to keep you on your toes.  Team roping is a high beyond description.