Search This Blog

Oct 30, 2013

#12 US Invitational Roping Wed Oct 30 2013


#12 US Invitational

2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Wednesday October 30 2013
By Melinda Clements

 

          It was a new addition to the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  The #12 US Invitational held in the Oklahoma State Fair arena took center stage as it made its NFTR debut.

          “I loved the roping.  Three full go rounds works well with me,” New Mexico header, Junior Hernandez commented. “I wish all the ropings were like this.  I’ll be entering one like this every single time.”

          “When you rope in the same arena in an average like this it makes it easier to stay in the groove.  It is all in one arena and it helps you stay motivated and aggressive,” said heeler Jeff Medlin.  That seemed to be the general consensus with all the participating ropers.

          The money was good, the prizes exceptional and the flair for excitement was ecstatic.  Every roper wanted his part of the action.

          Hernandez and Medlin were the third high team back going into the short go round of the #12 Invitational.  It was a good place to be.  A good solid run of fourteen would assure them of third place and a check for $21,000 plus a beautiful Gist Championship Trophy Buckle.

          “It was a great roping,” Hernandez said. “Despite being a really tough roping I have all the confidence in my partner.  I knew if I caught Jeff would come in and do his job.  A roping like this one keeps you competitive and aggressive.”

          “Junior called and asked me to rope and I thought it was a great idea,” Medlin collaborated. “I haven’t been roping much because I’ve been hauling my kids to junior rodeos so this was a good place to get back in the groove. Junior called and had a spot.  The cattle were good, the format was good and any win is good. I was excited to get to come and rope with him.”

          When Hernandez and Medlin made their run in the short round they had a time of 9.02 on their steer.  It was enough to take the lead away from Chris Cox and Brennan Harmon.  With two teams left to rope Medlin and Hernandez were content with third place.  Pressure had just been replaced by good roping.

          “I don’t play into pressure,” Medlin said. “I try to keep pressure at bay.  The top teams were close and you always want to win but anything you win is good so I was not worried about the other two teams to go.  Junior and I had roped well all afternoon.”

          As the last two teams made their runs there were some bobbles and some mistakes and fortunately for Hernandez and Medlin the pair stayed solid.  They would take the win in the #12 Invitational.  It was a sweet and well earned victory. The pair would take home $48,500, Gist Championship Buckles and Martin Championship Trophy Saddles.  It was an awesome prize line in anyone’s books.

          “I like the fact the roping was in one arena,” Hernandez elaborated. “This kind of roping makes it easier to win more money, to stay focused and you tend to rope more aggressive.  That is the way a roping should be.”

          It certainly appears there is a genuine interest in the newly added #12 US Invitational.  Hernandez and Medlin have set the trend for things to come.  More money, better cattle and the opportunity for more prizes is a real appeal for any team roper.  Perhaps this is a new movement for things to come.