Search This Blog

Oct 26, 2013

US Open Preliminary Saturday Oct 26 2013


US Open Preliminary
2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping 
Saturday October 26, 2013
By Melinda Clements 

          Sometimes new beginnings are tedious and difficult.  Breaking the ice can take its toll. On a beautiful October morning everyone was ready for the ice to crack.  Open Ropers were ready, USTRC staff and personnel were ready and it was time to rope.

          The prizes were in place, the cattle were fresh, horses were saddled, and it was time to kick off a new Cinch USTRC National Finals.   It would the culmination of a year of travel, practice, work and discipline. Everyone was ready and geared to go.

          “The good thing about this roping is the fact it is only about four hours from home,” commented Open header Luke Brown. “It’s been a positive week.”

          Twenty teams were coming back in the short go round of the Priefert Open Preliminary at the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  This was the group that would set the stage and break the ice of a phenomenal nine days of the best team roping in the world.

          $22,200 was up for grabs for first place in the average of the Open Preliminary.  Martin Championship Trophy saddles would also go the average winners.  There was no better ice breaker than that.

          A little over two seconds separated the top five teams going into the short go.  The competition was fierce and every roper knew this roping would set the stage for things to come.

          Morgan Mill, Texas team ropers, Luke Brown and Jake Long were the second high team coming back in the short go round.  They were in their comfort zone and had roped well all morning. However, things came together it was going to be right.

          “It doesn’t matter if it is the first steer or the last steer you always try to rope the same,” commented heeler Jake Long. “I don’t let pressure become an issue.  I just try to remain a blank slate whether I’m roping the first one or the last one.”

 Winners had their eyes on $22,000. It was not something you could ignore.

When the pair posted a time of 6.55 on their short go round steer they nailed down first place with one team left to rope.  The pair had roped well and it had been a positive and uplifting experience.

          As Brown and Long headed out the back gate to retrieve their ropes they were content on how things had come together. 

          “We left home on Wednesday,” Brown commented. “It’s been a really good week.”

          When the high team failed to make a qualified run Brown and Long suddenly realized they had actually won the average in the Priefert Open Preliminary at the 2013 Cinch National Finals of Team Roping.

          “This was a challenging pen of cattle,” Long commented. “I wanted to keep on maintaining my speed.  I wanted to maintain my focus.”

          “I was kind of in a dilemma going into this roping,” Brown said. “I really could not decide which horse to ride. Winning this roping helped me make my decision. I’ll stick with my old horse. He is sound and just fun to rope on.  I have ridden him the last five years at the Wrangler NFR.”

          This was the first time Brown and Long have paired up to rope at the Cinch USTRC Finals.  Despite living near each other and practicing they have never roped together at the Finals.

          “This is my first USTRC National Finals saddle,” Long said with a grin. “I think it will go in my living room with the George Strait saddle I won.  I’m just going to enjoy it being there for awhile.”

          When asked about preparation for a roping like the Open Preliminary Brown pointed out that next to catching horsemanship is extremely important.  He also feels you have to practice for a roping like the Finals.

          “Ropers kind of get in a comfort zone roping their old cattle at home,” Brown elaborated. “You have to practice on the kind of cattle you are going to rope at the Finals.  We rope the same old cattle that run the same speed and then when you come to a roping like this and the cattle are faster and stronger it can be an issue.”

          Apparently, Brown and Long moved out and beyond their comfort zone as the Open Preliminary unfolded.  They certainly came well equipped to be the ice breakers as the 2013 Cinch National Finals of Team Roping unfolded.

          “I’ve been coming here a long time,” Long concluded. “I guess you could say I’ve paid my dues.  I’m thrilled with the win.”  The pair broke the ice and both are looking forward to full week of team roping.  Hopefully, the best is yet to come.