Search This Blog

Oct 29, 2013

#12 Preliminary Monday Oct 28 2013


#12 Preliminary

2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Monday October 28 2013
By Melinda Clements

 

          It is a pretty safe bet to say that Georgia header, Zackary Thrift, won’t forget going to college in Oklahoma.  In fact, this year at school may be one he will hold in his heart for a long time.

          “I didn’t even know we were the high team back coming into the short go round,” Thrift commented.  “This is my first USTRC National Finals and I was just trying to rope well.”

          Thrift and draw partner, Chad Baker had, indeed, roped well together.  Twenty two teams were coming back in the short go round and a little over two seconds separated the top teams.  It had been a competitive, aggressive, and focused roping with every roper involved and wanting to be a part of the action.  It was a good place to be on a Monday evening at the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.

          As the short go round unfolded it quickly became evident it was going to be a quick paced, action packed short go round. 

          “I didn’t watch the short go round,” Baker said. “I wanted to maintain my focus and was thinking about catching two feet.  You have to draw the cattle to win a roping like this and I was hoping for a good steer.”

          There seems to be a lot of pressure involved when you are the high team back.  Thrift knew as the round drew to a close what the pair needed to do. 

          “I just tried to cut out all the noise and focus on roping this steer.  When I found out we were the high team back it stirred my nerves but it also made me a little hungry.  I wanted this one.”

          There was a little over a second separating the top six teams.  When the second high call team of Jake Ratliff and Jason Bagwell took the lead with a time of 8.02 in the short round Thrift knew he needed a good solid run.  He had his game face on and was ready to rope. He wanted to own this short go round.

          When the pair backed into the box only one steer mattered, only one steer would determine the end result.  It didn’t matter what had transpired throughout the day. All that mattered was right now.

          Thrift knew his horse and he knew the possibilities. He was ready to rope.

His focus was on track and he knew in his heart things happen for a reason.  He was paired with Baker for a reason so he wanted this to work.

          Baker and Thrift needed a 8.72 to take the win in the roping.  He nodded and tuned everything out but this one run.  When the flagger signaled the run was over it was close.  The announcer paused and Thrift’s heart skipped a beat.

          “How about a time of 8.63,” the announcer said. It was exactly what the pair needed to hear.

          “This is my first finals,” Thrift commented. “It worked out really well pairing up with Chad. I’m glad we got to rope together.”

          Both men have a tremendous respect and mutual feeling for the importance of their horses.  They feel horsemanship makes the game.

          “I grew up with this horse,” Thrift commented. “In short I was raised with this horse and he is all of my roping.”

          Baker agreed. “Horsemanship is absolutely everything. I worked for Trevor Brazil and he taught me the importance of good horses.”

          Team Roping is about new opportunities, new friendships and the chance to experience roping at its best. Thrift will not be forgetting this year’s USTRC National Finals any time soon.  He has a new saddle, a new roping partner and a new experience to show for his first trip to the Cinch NFTR.  It is a pretty safe thing to say this probably will not be his last trip here.