Search This Blog

Oct 27, 2013

# 13 Preliminary Sunday Oct 27 2013


# 13 Preliminary

2013 Cinch USTRC National Final of Team Roping

Sunday Oct 27, 2013
By Melinda Clements


          It was a first Cody McCluskey will not forget.  Some firsts in your life will always make a difference.  McCluskey was excited but seemed a bit reflective as well.  The saddle was his first USTRC Finals saddle.

          “I think I may just put it in the living room and let it soak awhile,” he said with a mischievous grin. “I’m pumped about the money and now that money is not an issue it is fun from here on out.”

          McCluskey and partner, Wesley Thorp nailed down the win in the average of the #13 Preliminary at the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping. “I just wanted to keep going and I was pumped. It’s a great feeling.”

          The pair was the second high team back going into the short round of the #13 Preliminary.  In a four head average the roping was tough and yet many ropers seemed to struggle as the short go round unfolded.

          Perhaps it was nerves.  A little over five seconds separated the first and twentieth team.  Fifteen moneys would be paid in the average.  $21, 700 would be paid to the first place team in the average. 

          “We wanted to catch and stay solid,” Thorp commented. “I wanted to get out right and score well. My main focus was to catch and make a solid short round run.”

          It seemed to work for the pair.  The fifteenth high call back team of Tyler McGuffee and Cody Hogan had maintained the lead through the roping.  It seemed there was just a bit of struggle the further the roping went.

          Thorp and McCluskey knew they needed a 8.50 to take the lead in the average.  It involved making a good solid, mistake free practice run.  When the pair rode into the box they were focused and on track. 

          “As a heeler I tend to cover cattle up where I cannot see them,” McCluskey said. “I wanted to get my shot.”  When they nodded for their steer they knew what had to be done.

          When the smoke cleared the pair took the lead in the average with a time of 29.76 with one team left to rope.  Either way they were assured of a pocket full of change.  It was a good place to be.

          Surprisingly, when the high team back legged their short round steer McCluskey and Thorp realized they had grabbed the win in the #13 Preliminary.  It was a sweet win to say the least.

          “Wesley just asked me yesterday if I would rope with him,” McCluskey said. “We don’t practice but I’m sure we will keep roping together.  It worked out well for us.”

          As the pair posed for pictures and accepted awards McCluskey figured this would be one first he would not forget for a long time. 

          “I’m going to hang on to this one for awhile,” he said with shy grin.  “You cannot help but be pumped by a roping like this. I just want to soak this one up.”