Search This Blog

Nov 1, 2013

#11 Preliminary Thurs Oct 31 2013


#11 Preliminary

2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Thursday October 31 2013

By Melinda Clements

 

          They are a most unlikely pair.  It almost makes you wonder how they came to be a team at all.  Yet, they seem to complement each other and the union has lasted some two or three years.  Watching Heath Sanders and Nick Gonzales makes you smile.  Whether they are roping or just bantering back in forth it is a combination that works

          The pair was the high call back team going into the short go round of the #11 Preliminary at the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  They had roped well all day and the #11 Preliminary was going to be a culmination of hard work, extensive travel and a commitment to take home an awesome paycheck and unbelievable prize line.

          “It is always the money that brings you to Oklahoma City,” Gonzales said. “I’ve been coming here since I used to rope in the Dummy Roping as a little kid. We’ve been roping together about three years and I wanted to win this roping. My partner wanted to win it also.”

          “We live to far apart to practice,” Sanders said. “Roping with Nick is fun and he is full of action. He keeps me on my toes and roping aggressive.  We practice at home but never with each other but we seem to do really well.”

          $20,700 was up for grabs in the #11 Preliminary for first place in the average  along with Martin Championship Trophy Saddles.  Second would pay a little over $12,000.  Gonzales was gearing up for the rest of the week at the Cinch NFTR and winning the #11 Preliminary would help to set the stage.

          As the high team back they knew they needed at least a 9.94 to take the lead away from Flavio de Souza and Rodrigues Lima who were locked in the lead with a time of 31.95 on the their steers.

          “There really wasn’t much pressure,” Gonzales said, “I guess I felt the excitement.  I was anxious and wanted to get it over with.  I had the confidence that we were going to do alright.”

          “I had one thing in my head for the short go round,” Sanders said. “Hit them in the hock.  I wanted two feet and I felt pretty sure Nick would give me that shot.”

          The # 11 Preliminary had been a fast paced competitive roping and the short go would follow suit.  As Sanders and Gonzales rode in to the box they were focused on the job at hand.  When Gonzales nodded for the steer time seemed to stop.  Sanders fired his shot at the “hocks” and locked in a time of 8.66 to take the win in the average with a time of 30.66.  It was a win both could savor and it would help break the ice for the roping the rest of the week.

          “I wanted to get out of the barrier,” Gonzales said. “I had practiced aggressive, wanted to be fast and I wanted to be consistent. It worked out well for both of us.”

          That certainly seemed to be the case as the pair posed for pictures and admired their new saddles.

          “I practice roping on muley cattle for a roping like this one,” Sanders said with a grin.  “I guarantee if you can rope muley’s you can rope anything.  I like roping behind Nick because he ropes quick, fast, and keeps me on my toes.  He keeps me roping aggressive.  That is what we needed to do here was rope aggressive and not be overly cautious or safe.”
          “My birthday is Sunday,” Gonzales said, “Not a bad birthday present and I have eight more runs this week.  Unfortunately, they are not with Heath but a win like this one leaves you wanting more of the same thing.”

          “I always struggle with the first three steers,” Sanders said with a sly grin.  “Once you get to the short round the rest is good.”  As the pair played off each other you got the feeling it was a pairing that bordered on family.  Both men’s love for team roping was obvious. They had some very common ground and it had paid off with a big win in the #11 Preliminary.  Through unlikely avenues team roping brings people together.  Partners seem to complement one another.  It brings out what they love the most and that is roping.