Search This Blog

Nov 3, 2013

# 9 Shoot Out Sunday Nov 3 2013 National Finals


#9 Shoot Out 

2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Sunday Nov 3 2013

By Melinda Clements

 

          Practice! Practice! Practice! You can do anything if you practice! That tends to be Header, Jace Baker’s philosophy. 

          “I work in the practice pen to make just solid eight second runs,” Baker said. “That was my game plan here as well.  I wanted to make four eight second runs.  I felt if I was solid, consistent and followed through it would work.”

          Baker and partner, David Perry was the fourth high team back coming into the short go round of the #9 Shoot Out at the 2013 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  The pair had roped well all day and they were hoping the trend would continue in the short go round.

          A lot was on the line as the short go round began.  Ropers were looking at a total payout of about $515,000.  First place in the average would pay $126,300 along with Martin Championship Trophy Saddles, Gist Championship Buckles, Tony Lama Ostrich Boots, and Western Horseman Collector’s Prints.  The coliseum seethed with anticipation and pressure was airborne and darted among the participants.

          “I was real nervous,” Perry said. “I had missed earlier in the week and I did everything I could to provide some kind of distraction and to keep from thinking about that.

          As the fourth high team back in the short round Perry and Baker needed a 9.62 to take the lead in the average.  Focused on solid eight second runs the pair posted a time of 8.32 on their steer.  It was exactly what they wanted and they were assured of a check at fourth place.  As they rode out the back gate it became a waiting game. 

          It seemed to take forever. 

          “I felt a whole lot of pressure,” Perry said. “I wanted our lead to hold.”

          With some mistakes the top three teams were unable to move Perry and Baker out of the leading spot.  Fortunately for the Texas pair their time would hold and they would win first in the average of the #9 Shoot Out.  The pair would split $126,300.  It was an incredible payout.

          “I really struggle with handling cattle for my heelers,” Baker said. “I hurry up and rope and then have to back off and slow down to provide the kind of handle my heelers need.”  Regardless, it seemed to work for Baker and he beamed as he held his little girl.  Apparently, he had promised a swimming pool if he won and she was making sure her daddy remembered.

          “You always come to the Finals for the money,” Baker elaborated. “This is my first USTRC Finals saddle and I’m sure this one will set in the house. This is a dream come true for any roper.”

          Baker had quit roping for seven years after his kids were born.  He was committed to family and had just started back roping after his kids were a little older.

          “My kids were small and my priorities changed,” Baker said. “Now they are older so I’m back roping.”

          “I’ve been coming to the Finals for the last three years,” Perry said. “It is a good roping, it’s a good time and, of course, it is good money. My header catches ninety-nine percent of the time.  I just want to follow up and do what needs to be done.”

          The pair have a tendency to complement each other.  Although they haven’t been roping together a long time this was one roping where their partnership paid off. Surrounded by family and friends Baker and Perry seemed a bit awed.  It all seemed a little blurry and surreal.  Tomorrow maybe the reality would sink in.  Tomorrow maybe there would be a swimming pool in the works.  Tomorrow would be another day in the practice pen.  For right now, it was a dream come true with endless possibilities.  It is for the reality of it all that we do what we do and the reason we cherish the sport we love.