Search This Blog

Oct 24, 2016

#15 Shoot Out USTRC National Finals Sat Oct 22


# 15 Shoot Out
2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Saturday October 22 2016
J R Dees and Riley Wilson
By Melinda Clements

         Once in a great while people come along in your life that you just know are a Godsend to restore your faith in humanity.  Every once in awhile things unfold and you just have to smile.  Such is the case with J R Dees and Riley Wilson.  They just make you smile.  They put joy in your heart and you suddenly realize we are all human and it is okay to be honest, open, joyous and sincere and one does not have to wear a mask or pretend. Life is, indeed, a ball so take it and run wild.
         J R Dees was ecstatic.  He had just won the #15 Preliminary at the 2016 Cinch USTRC Team Roping in Oklahoma City with partner, Riley Williams.  He so wanted to repeat the win in the #15 Shoot Out with partner, Riley Wilson.  The kid ropes awesome.
         “I’m pretty lucky to have some good heelers,” Dees voiced. “I’ve been a little nervous through all this.”  As it turned out Dees and his partner, Riley Wilson was the sixth high team back going into the short go round of the #15 Shoot Out at this years NFTR.  Dees had tasted victory and he more than liked the feeling.  To say he was on a role was to underestimate what was staring everyone in the face.
         Wilson, however, was like a cat on a hot tin roof. “You are not human if you are not nervous,” Wilson voiced. “I could not sit still. I could not think.  I had been a bundle of nerves and stressed from the moment I had stepped on a plane headed from Canada to Oklahoma.  It had been a zoo, lost luggage, crazy horses and strange happenings. I lost my stirrups and made the shot of the century with no stirrups. I felt like a monkey trying to ride a basketball through the whole deal. I had to check and make sure I didn’t need some clean clothes.”
         Regardless of what Wilson was trying to cope with when he and Dees rode into the box in the short go round it was all business.
         “I had to put it behind me,” Wilson elaborated. “I just rode into the box and thought about being fourteen years old when roping was just fun and I roped because it is fun and what I love to do. By golly, it worked.”
         It did work.  Dees and Wilson posted a time of 6.46 on their short round steer and set into motion a chain of events that involved waiting and trying to stay calm, cool and collected. A waiting game is never fun.
         When the dust cleared and the numbers were totaled one team emerged that would make you smile.  Dees and Wilson would take the win the #15 Shoot Out.  Splitting $100,000 the pair would also take home Martin Championship Team Roping Saddles, Gist Championship Gold Buckles, Tony Lama Boots and Western Horseman Framed Prints. The win was phenomenal.
         “Is this real?”  Dees asked when presented a check for $50,000.  “Wow, I can’t believe it!”
         “I just want to kiss this kid,” Wilson said ecstatically. “You understand when you get older and slower you go find someone younger and faster? That is why we rope together. When the best header out there wants you to rope with them you just naturally say YES!” His mood was contagious.
         As the team posed for pictures and gathered for interviews the pair was electric.  They reveled in the attention and wondered if it was all a dream. Cameras clicked as they tried to answer questions about being nervous and how it was to rope and suddenly have so much money.
         “I asked this kid how much money he had when this all started,” Wilson teased and he actually had about five bucks left in his pocket.  Now I can borrow money from him and not feel bad.”
         “I couldn’t find you when it was our turn to rope,” Dees jabbed back. “I thought you had left. I just wondered where you were and what you were doing. I figured you had left me hanging.”
         Dees is eighteen years old and Wilson wouldn’t give his age then Dees ratted on him and Wilson denied it only to say that he was old enough to know better.
         As the interview ended and the coliseum became dark somewhere in the darkness a golf cart made its way to some distant stalls.  Whoops and hollers and shouts of joy filled the cool night air and upon further investigation one reporter discovered two team ropers in the company of friends still celebrating their good luck.  Dees and Wilson were embracing their good fortune.  They had rerun and rehashed the #15 Shoot Out at the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping over and over again.  Dees still wondered if it was real.
         With joy and a humble thanksgiving the ropers would never ever forget one evening in 2016 when they were crowned the National Champions of the #15 Shoot Out.  Smile and think back.  Team roping is a timed event and time is of the essence. Team Roping changes things and it always makes a difference.