Search This Blog

Oct 29, 2016

#10 Invitational NFTR Thurs Oct 27 2016 Woolven and Kelly


#10 Invitational 
2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Thursday October 27 2016
Mike Woolven and Glenn Kelly
By Melinda Clements
        
         What is the old adage? When you’re hot you’re hot!!  Hot was certainly the label attached to Mike Woolven and Glenn Kelly.  For a couple of days the pair had been on fire.  However, it seemed as the saying goes, “Always the bridesmaid, but never the bride!”
         That scenario changed in a heartbeat.  Woolven and Kelly were the high team coming back in the short go round of the #10 Invitational.  The pair had fresh on their minds being the high team back in the #10 Gold Plus Shoot Out the evening before where they ended up in second place.  They had been here and they had done that but this time they wanted to finish at the top of the leader board. The pair was wired to fire and they wanted the win. Maybe they had a little more motivation or a little something more to prove.
         “We really didn’t change anything,” Kelly commented.  “We just kept roping like we had been roping.  I guess the playing field changed but, from our point of view, we didn’t make any changes.”
         Jason Obrien and Scott Clark made a good run.  They were 8.23 on their short round steer to take the lead from the ninth high team of Jason Heath and Joe Macoubrie. The roping would pay the eight top teams and Woolven and Kelly were comfortable with making a good solid, mistake free run.  They had to be 10.38 to move Obrien and Clark.  It was a good solid “doable” practice run and there were no nerves involved.
         “I don’t really struggle with roping,” Woolven said. “I don’t really think or plan. I just rope. We didn’t change anything from last night going into this roping today. 
         Kelly commented that if he struggled with anything it was being really careful to not catch before his header catches.  “I get a little anxious to say the least,” he laughed. Woolven agreed.
         When Woolven nodded for the steer it was almost dejavu! The pair knew what they wanted and how to get it.  When the clock stopped it read 8.69. The pair left the arena and the large weight on their shoulders evaporated.  It was finally, a done deal.
         “Winning a roping like this is a possibility for everyone with a lot of hard work and practice,” Kelly explained. “We just go rope.  You know, my heart is full.  I’m blessed. We were the high team back two times in a row.  That makes my heart full and I am blessed.”
         “It takes a lot of heart, a lot of practice and a lot of support,” Woolven concluded. “You learn to work hard, practice hard and do what you need to do.  I’m proud of these saddles. I think we will ride them. It is the first USTRC Finals Saddles for both of us. I have access to a lot of good horses and I guess that makes them all winners.  Without a doubt, I’ll use my saddle.”
         Kelly grinned, “Yep, you bet I’m riding this saddle.”