Search This Blog

Oct 30, 2016

#10 Preliminary NFTR Friday Oct 28 2016 Harris and Perry


#10 Preliminary 
2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Friday October 28 2016
Braden Harris and David Perry
By Melinda Clements

         “I needed a run so they drew for me,” Braden Harris said. “It turned out great for me.” Texas Team Roper, David Perry, emulated the statement.
         “I drew this kid,” Perry explained. “I told them I didn’t know him and they said he was kid thirteen years old and I said, ‘why heck yea’ because most kids rope really well. I’m in. Let’s do it.”
         It turned out to be a phenomenal pairing.  Harris and Perry was the high team back coming into the short go round of the #10 Preliminary at the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  The top six in the average would get a paycheck and the winner in the average would pocket $16,200 and take home Martin Championship Trophy Saddles.
         After getting off to a rocky start the short go round proved to be fast paced and quite competitive.  The ropers were focused and looking at a win with money on their minds.
         Leonel Lopez and Daniel Garcia held the lead in the average with a time of 34.20 on four head of steers.  Harris and Perry had never roped together, however, they both knew they wanted this win.  The #10 Preliminary had proved to be a good roping for them and with one more steer to go they felt they could take the lead in the average with this final steer.
          “I really needed to catch this steer,” Harris said. “I was really very nervous. I just had to catch this steer to give my heeler a chance.”
         “As we rode into the box I told Braden to just go rope,” Perry said. “Catching two feet is my biggest challenge but we had roped really well and I knew this steer would not be any different.  We were on a roll and I wanted to add this win to the other ones I’d had this week.”
         Harris and Perry needed to be 10.53 to move Lopez and Garcia out of the number one spot.  Despite a bit of nerves Harris backed in the box and nodded for the steer.  He was focused and on track and he felt if he could just catch Perry would wrap up the run.  The kid connected and turned off and Perry was true to form. The clock read 8.80 and a roar went up from the spectators.  It was an awesome win.
         “We drew each other to rope and it worked so well,” Harris said. “It was just a lucky deal that we drew each other.” At thirteen years of age Harris has been roping since he was about four years old.  His horse is a good one and he has had him for about four years. 
         “I’m so glad I was able to catch and wrap up the run,” Perry said. “We are now new best friends and I hope we can keep roping together.”
         The saddle in the #10 Preliminary was the first USTRC National Finals saddle for Harris.  Perry won a saddle in the #9 Shoot Out at the NFTR in 2013. 
         As the pair posed for pictures it was obvious Harris was a little overwhelmed.  It was a big win for him.  It is an amazing thing how team roping consistently brings people together in a unique sort of way.  As Perry said, “We are new best friends.”  It is amazing how two people can come together and make all the right connections and suddenly Team Roping has changed and impacted their lives.  Harris was excited. 
         The #10 Preliminary had laid a strong foundation for the rest of the week for Harris.  He was entered in the #10 Shoot Out the next day.  What a way to break the ice and to do it with a new partner was even more exciting.  Perry never doubted a kid would be a great partner.  He would pair up again in a heartbeat.  There are just some things meant to be. The win was awesome and hopefully great things were yet to come.