Search This Blog

Oct 27, 2016

#12 Gold Plus Shoot Out NFTR Tues. Oct 25 2016 Coffman and Cox


#12 Gold Plus Shoot Out
2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Tuesday October 25 2016
Jim Coffman and Larry Cox
By Melinda Clements

         With a total payout of $258,400, a Ram Tough Dodge Truck and a Case IH Tractor the #12 Gold Plus Shoot Out held during the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping is probably one of the most popular events held during Finals Week.
         Ropers love the prizes, the payout and all the #12 Gold Plus Shoot Out involves. 
         “This is a great roping to attend,” commented Heeler, Larry Cox from Weatherford, Texas.  “I was pretty sure if I didn’t enter anything else I was going to enter this one.  I insisted my partner, Jim Coffman, practice and we decided at the last minute to enter.  Jim isn’t really much in to practice but we did practice and entered at the very last minute.”
         “I’m glad we entered,” Coffman said, “but I’m one of those guys that just wants it all over with. I came this morning, roped in this one roping and I’m headed home tonight.”
         Coffman and Cox were the second high team back going into the short go round of the #12 Gold Plus Shoot Out.  Evidently their practice paid off and the pair was on a role. 
         “I didn’t really want to come,” Coffman elaborated with a smile, “but you know heelers; they think they know everything.  He insisted we practice so I let him tell me what to do so here we are.”  He grinned and cast his eyes toward Cox to see if he really was listening and paying attention.        
         The pair needed a time of 11.32 to take the lead from the fifth high call back team of David Gaddis and Brent Kittle.  Gaddis and Kittle were leading the average with a time of33.18 on four steers.
         “We had about eleven seconds to make on our run,” Cox commented. “We have roped together for a long time.” Sweating nervously, Cox was more nervous than he wanted anyone to know. “We didn’t really have a plan for today.  I guess we sort of got lucky.  We had to just go and make a good solid practice run.  It certainly came together.”
         It did, indeed, work for the pair.  They posted a time of 7.40 to take the lead in the average with one team left to rope.  Gary Allen and Butch Whitten posted a time of 7.69 to cinch second place and give the win to Coffman and Cox. 
         First place would claim Gist Gold Buckles and put $54,000 in their pockets.  The High Money Winner would take home a Ram Truck and 2nd High Money Winner would be awarded a Case IH Tractor.  It was phenomenal prize line. 
         When the numbers were tallied it was determined that Coffman would take home the tractor and Cox would win the Ram Truck. Cox bested Coffman by $1000 due to winning a Rotation Fast Back.  Ironically, it was with Coffman’s wife, Shaneece, which broke the “money won” tie. Coffman and Cox have been friends for a lot of years.  Coffman roped with Cox’s dad for a lot of years so it seemed second nature that Coffman and Cox would form a lifetime friendship.  They know each other really well.
         “I just wanted to focus and be consistent,” Coffman commented. “I want to shape everything up so Larry can catch.  I think a lot, too, about not beating myself.  I guess our strategy was to make it good and not beat ourselves.  The best thing is that we made a good run and then made the high team back come try and beat us. I like it when it works that way.”
         Both men give their horses a lot of credit.  They feel horsemanship is essential.
         “I’ve had my horse about three years,” Coffman commented. “He fires hard and I wanted to be sure on getting out.  This horse will buck you off if he isn’t warmed up properly so I always have to take the time to do that.  I knew I had the speed and I knew Larry would be there.”
         Coffman was headed home as soon as he could wrap up some loose ends following the #12 Gold Plus Shoot Out.  It was fun and exciting that some of those loose ends involved a chunk of change and a new Case IH Tractor.  Despite the cameras, the interviews and the notoriety of the win Coffman seemed a little in awe about the whole thing.  He loved the attention but he had already voiced he wanted it done and over.
         There would be little doubt as he pulled away from the coliseum in Oklahoma City he would have a lot on his mind.  He and his partner had just won the #12 Gold Plus Shoot Out at the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  That was a lot to think about as he headed to the house.  It was certainly something he wasn’t going to forget any time soon.  Both ropers would remember this particular moment for a lot of days to come.
         Team Roping with good friends, savoring a memorable win and trying to put it all in perspective; it was a lot to think about. Admit it or not it had probably been a good idea to practice.  It had also been a good idea to enter even if it was at the last minute. 
         Coffman had to smile as he reflected on the fact that “heelers think they know everything.”  Larry was his good friend and he was more than glad he had made the trip.  He would not have roped with anyone else. I guess it is okay if heelers do, indeed, think they know everything. Guess you have to give credit where credit is due.