Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2015

# 11 Preliminary Thurs Oct 29 2015 Baker and Brown


#11 Preliminary

2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Thursday October 29 2015

Jace Baker and Jeff Brown

 

          “I was so nervous,” Mt. Pleasant Texas heeler, Jeff Brown said. “I was just really nervous and to say I might have been a little nervous would be a gross understatement. I was NERVOUS!”

          “I didn’t even watch the short go round,” Header, Jace Baker said. “Why put that kind of pressure on myself?”

          Baker and Brown just happened to be the high call back team going into the short go round of the #11 Preliminary.  The pair have been partners for about five years and this roping was a big one for them.

          “Absolutely, I was nervous,” Baker fidgeted. “If you aren’t nervous in a roping like this you are crazy!”

          The pair would be the final team to rope in the short go round of the #11 Preliminary. JaLynn Harmon and Dillion D. Ogorman held the lead in the average with a time of 33.27 on four steers.  Bake and Brown needed a time of 10.66 to make the change in the leader board.

          The winning team in the average would take home $17,900 and Martin Championship Trophy Saddles.  The roping was quick, fast paced and extremely competitive.  Every team would get flex earnings and every team would get a shootout.

          “We started out real aggressive,” Baker said. “We backed off a little and kind of slowed the pace toward the end.”

          “This is my first time to make the short round,” Brown said. “I wanted to kick over and rope.  We got a really good start so I wanted to take my first good shot.  I kept thinking about position.”

          When Baker and Brown broke from the box they were aggressive and on a mission.  It didn’t appear they had slowed any.  Despite being nervous they were able to focus and keep their priorities straight.  A time of 9.04 cinched the deal.  The pair won the average of the # 11 Preliminary with a time of 31.64 on four head of steers.  $17,900 would fit well into their bank accounts.

          “I’ve been coming here about six years,” Brown said. “This is the first year to make the short go round.  I didn’t know for sure that we were the high team back but I knew I would keep roping the same. I would take my best shot.”

          The pair was elated with their win.  Suddenly, a five year partnership was paying off big time.  Both men believe in practice and perhaps “keep on keeping on” should be their new motto.  Despite nerves all the pair had accomplished would be with them for a long time.  They were proud and excited about their win.  The win in the #11 Preliminary would set the stage for more roping to come as the week at the 2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping progressed.