Search This Blog

Oct 29, 2015

Cruel Girl Championships Wed. Oct 28 2015 Rodenberger and Bilkey


Cruel Girl Championships

2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Wednesday October 28 2015

Shawn Tee Rodenberger and Ali Bilkey

 

          Do not ever underestimate or overlook the lady team ropers. They kind of stay in the background, riding and working their horse, honing their skills and then suddenly they erupt with the intensity and tenacity of a cornered bear cat.

          They are aggressive, disciplined, focused and committed. They know what they want and how to go about getting it. One should never underestimate what the Cruel Girls can do.

          Eighteen teams were coming back for the short go round in the Cruel Girl Championships.   The ladies were looking at a first place purse of $16,200 in cash, Martin Championship Trophy Saddles, a $1000 Cash Bonus and a one year Cruel Girl wardrobe.  The top eight teams in the average would receive a paycheck.  It was a total payout of $62,160 spread across the board.

          The short go round would be competitive.  It was anyone’s ball game but one thing was certain; they all came to rope and they all come to win.

          Ashley Odonnell and Courtney Small was the third high call back team.  When they took the lead in the average with a time of 39.75 there were two teams left to rope.  Shawn Tee Rodenberger and Ali Bilkey was the second high team back.  The pair needed a time of 11.66 to move Odonnell and Small out of the driver’s seat.  There was one team left to rope.

          “I already knew what I needed to do and what I needed to see,” Rodenberger said, “I know what I need to see when I ride into the box.  I had seen Ali rope and there was no doubt in my mind she could rope.  I was not worried about her.”

          “I try not to let the pressure get to me,” Bilkey added. “I try not to let it bother me.”

          Bilkey, a student at West Texas A&M in Canyon, Texas is a transplanted Californian.  “I go to school in Canyon and we have never roped together. This was our first time.”

          When Rodenberger rode into the box she appeared confident and on track.  She nodded and everything connected.  Bilkey wrapped up the run and the pair posted a time of 8.88 to take the lead in the average with a time of 36.96.  With one team left to rope. Both ladies wondered silently if their lead would hold.

          Cheyenne Jinks and Whitney Desalvo would wrap up the short go round.  The pair roped their steer in fine form with a time of 9.30 but it would not be enough to move Rodenberger and Bilkey.  The pair would take the win in the average of the Cruel Girl Championships with a time of 36.96 on a four steer average.

          “This is my second year here,” Bilkey said. “But this is my first USTRC National Finals Saddle.  I think it will be a trophy saddle for a while.”

          “This is our first time to ever rope together,” Rodenberger reiterated. “I had seen her rope. I wasn’t worried. I knew what she could do. I knew she would do her job.”

          Both ladies feel work ethic and horsemanship are very important. 

          “Practice is so important,” both ladies agreed. Both have a lot of faith and commitment to the horses they ride.

          “My horse will do his job,” Bilkey emphasized. Both ladies were pleased with the roping. “It’s a good place to rope,” Rodenberger continued. “I won here in 2001 and my win here today will help me do something for my boys.”

          As the ladies paused for the awards one could sense the quiet humble demeanor that makes these ladies champions.  They know that horsemanship, work ethic and commitment count. The ladies of the USTRC—don’t ever overlook or underestimate them.