Search This Blog

Oct 29, 2015

# 12 Invitational Wed Oct 28 2015 Drake and Roden


#12 Invitational

2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping

Wednesday October 28 2015

Kenny Drake and Kevin Roden

 

 

          “It is very obvious we have some pretty good chemistry,” Kenny Drake said with a mischievous grin.  “Kevin, my partner, knew the game plan from the get go. The game plan was to win. But you have to realize we had a lot of help.”

          Kenny Drake and Kevin Roden was the third high team back going into the short round of the #12 Invitational at the 2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  It certainly had proved to be an interesting day.

          “This is the absolute best place to rope for the high dollars,” Drake continued. “The USTRC is a great family deal.  I raised my kids in this organization and now Kevin is doing the same thing.”

          Roden smiled. “It’s all about family, great headers and good horses.”

          The pair needed a 10.20 in the short go round to take the lead in the average.  There were fifteen teams coming back in the short go round. $54,600 would go to the winners in the average plus Martin Championship Trophy Saddles and Gist Championship Gold Buckles.

          “All the steers were big and strong,” Drake said. “It was a good bunch of steers. But I think we had a little favor from above especially when the particular steer we wanted moved to the front as we rode into the box.”

          “We don’t get to practice because we live too far apart,” Roden explained. “We’ve roped together a couple of times. I had missed two steers in the Gold Plus and I wasn’t going to let it happen again.  I had one job and that was to catch.  Two feet was all I was thinking about.”

          Drake and Roden rode into the box with one thing on their minds.  They wanted to move Derek Reeves and Jeff Smith out of first place in the average.  Drake and Roden wanted to take the lead.

          Things happened quickly when Drake nodded for the short round steer.  His rope connected and Drake turned off with the steer in tow.  Roden was true to his word and connected on the corner to wrap up the run with a time of 8.34.  There were two teams left to rope.  Drake and Roden rode out the back gate knowing they had done their best.

          When the last two teams failed to make qualified runs Drake and Roden were a bit awe struck.  They had just won the #12 Invitational at the 2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.

          “We had a really good steer,” Drake said. “However, the roping kind of fell into our lap.  We made a good run, we had a good steer and we just rope really well together.  As I said we have some chemistry.  We might have played it little safe but it worked for us.”

          “I just wanted to do my job,” Roden elaborated. “My job is two feet.  I have a good horse and a great support system.” Roden gives all the credit to his family and the Justus Hyatt Family for his success.

          “I borrowed a horse from Justus Hyatt and there is no way I can tell them how much I appreciate all they have done and all their support,” Roden elaborated.

          Drake appreciates his support system as well. “My wife, Jill, rides my horse and keeps him legged up and in good shape.  All I have to do is go rope.” He finished with a grin.

          Drake and Roden would pocket $54,600 plus Martin Championship Trophy Saddles and Gist Gold Buckles. The pair still have a full week ahead of them.

          “I’m coming back and roping with my son,” Roden said. “It is so special to win here. I cannot express what all it means.”