Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2014

Century Roping Thursday Oct 30 2014 National Finals


Century Roping
2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Thursday October 30, 2014
By Melinda Clements 

          “I just think third high team back going into the short go round at the Cinch USTRC National Finals Team Roping is a great place to be, “ said Oklahoma header, Todd Watkins. “I mean, honestly, does it get any better than that?”
          “I called Todd to see if he would rope,” Micah Lynch laughed. “I’m glad he decided to rope with me.”  The pair were almost giddy and joked and teased each other.  They had every reason to be a little hyper.  Pinning them down to one serious thought was difficult.  It was no wonder.  They had just won the Century Team Roping at the 2014 Cinch National Final of Team Roping.
          The pair had to be an 8.89 on the last steer to take the lead.  When they posted a time of 8.32 they took the lead in the average from Keith Mahanay and Joe Matile.     As the pair rode out the back gate they were perfectly satisfied with how things had come together.
          “We practice a lot,” Watkins explained. “We have a good time.  We live near each other so we spend a lot of time together.  This, however, is our first entry here with each other.”
          “Of course I was nervous,” Lynch said with a grin. “I’m not good at interviews and I don’t do this on a regular basis so I’m not very good at any of it. I just wanted to catch so it would be over.”
          With only two teams left to rope in the short go the pair never gave the roping another thought.  They had roped well all day and if it was third then third was a good place to be.
          With some problems the last two teams failed to move Watkins and Lynch and they were elated when they realized their time would hold.  It was fun finding out they had actually won the Century Championship.
          “You know we practice fundamentals and stick to basics in the practice pen but you just never know how that practice is going to affect you or pay off when it comes to roping at a roping like this one,” Watkins said. “We practice a lot and I think it just paid off in a big way.”         
          The pair would take home Martin Championship Trophy Saddles and $27,900.  That was a pretty good prize line for a couple of ropers who spend a lot of time together in the practice pen.
          ‘You know when Micah Lynch calls you to rope you just load up and rope,” Watkins said as he grinned at his partner. “I entered this thing one time and only one time and I’m sure glad I did. It just doesn’t get any better than this.  I guess when Micah calls me to rope I’ll go rope.”
          The pair continued to tease and joke as cameras clicked and cell phones rang and for Lynch he would just pay some bills and keep roping.  With Century ropers it is all about fun. If you cannot have fun doing what you love most of all maybe you need to change what you are doing.  Team roping?  It’s a blast!