Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2014

#10 Invitational Thursday Oct 30 2014 National Finals


#10 Invitational
2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Thursday October 30, 2014
By Melinda Clements 

          Arkansas header, Lori Thone is a force to contend with.  She has been roping a long time, thirty plus years to be exact.  Thone and her partner, Andrew Kelley were the high team going into the short go round of the #10 Invitational at the 2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.
          “You know, I think the first steer is always the hardest,” Thone said. “Once you make that first run, rope that first steer then you can settle and just rope.”  It seems thirty years of roping gives you a little insight and wisdom that supports you when the mind games toy with your emotions.
          The pair needed a 10.67 to take the lead in the average of the #10 Invitational.
          “I’ve been roping about twenty years, since I was about twelve years old,” Kelley said. “Lori and I have a lot of experience under our belts.”
          It seems that experience is worth a lot in a roping where the prize line is indescribable. First place in the average would pay $53,100 in addition to Martin Championship Trophy Saddles.
          When the pair rode into the box for their final steer it was all about business. They knew what they had to do and that was the only game plan in mind if there was, indeed, a game plan.
          “You don’t want to beat yourself,” Thone said. “Getting out is my biggest issue but you have to stay focused.  I like the short go round.  I felt good and I was excited. It all felt right.”         
          “I wasn’t nervous about the short go round,” Kelley said. “I wanted to stay humble. I am blessed way beyond belief and I just wanted to rope well and do well when it was all over.”
          As Thone nodded the music was loud, nerves were stretched and emotions were on a rocky mountain high.  When Thone caught and turned off Kelley honed in and nabbed the heels to stop the clock at 8.44.  They would win the money, the saddles and take home the title of #10 Invitational Champions.
          “Now, my daughter wants to go shopping,” Thone laughed as she tried to grasp and understand just how much money she held in her hand. “Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t.  You just try your hardest and keep roping and do not let anyone ever tell you it cannot be done.  My gosh, I’m proof of that.”
          “I wasn’t nervous,” Kelley said during an interview. “Now, suddenly, I’m really nervous,” he said as he hugged Thone and received handshakes and back slaps of congratulations. “This is unbelievable.”
          Surrounded by cameras, photographers and USTRC personnel it almost seemed like the paparazzi had arrived.  It was a bit overwhelming.
          Thone hit another stride and just continued to be the star of the party.  It was obvious winning suited her style.  Don’t ever let anyone tell you it cannot be done.  Lori Thone is pretty good proof that if you have the will to do it you have the will to get it done.  They make a pretty good pair, Lori Thone and Andrew Kelley.