Search This Blog

Oct 31, 2014

#10 Gold Plus Shoot Out Wednesday Oct 29 2014 National Finals


#10 Gold Plus Shoot Out
2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Wednesday October 29, 2014
By Melinda Clements

                I often wonder what goes through team roper’s minds as they plan to take in the Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  Of course, they think about the money, how much it is going to cost and how much you can win; and the competition.  They think about the practice and roping aggressive and roping right plus a million other things.
          “This was my first and only roping this week,” said Louisiana header, Jared Graves. “I had to make everything count.  There have been a lot of ropings where I didn’t stay aggressive.  I didn’t follow through and it didn’t work out.  I wanted to stay focused and give Jessie a shot.  I knew he would catch.”
          Graves and partner, Jessie Favors, were the fourth high team going into the short go round of the #10 Gold Plus Shoot Out.  The pair had posted a time of 12.24 on their last steer to take the lead with three teams to go.  Every team wanted a part of the action.  Everyone wanted a shot at the Dodge Ram Truck and Case I-H Tractor.  The first place team would pocket $67,300.
          “Jessie had called me to see if I wanted to rope,” Graves commented. “I’m sure glad we did.”
          “You know this is the place to have a good week if you are wanting to have a good week,” Favors said with emotion. “I guess whatever happens, happens. I just didn’t want to miss.”
          Following some bobbles by the top three teams in the short round Graves and Favors realized they had won the average of the #10 Gold Plus Shoot Out with a time of 37.73 on four head of steers.  Not too shabby and besides a rope off would determine who would take home the truck and the tractor.  What an unbelievably awesome feeling for both ropers.
          Following a rope off the pair would split $67,300 and Favors would take the Dodge Ram Truck and Graves would get the Case I-H Tractor.
          “This roping could have been anybody’s ropng,” Favors said. “It was competitive.  We had a good steer, a good start and things turned out in our favor.  There are so many people that support me so I can do this.  My wife, for one, is always supportive.  I’d also like to thank P & P Trailer Sales in Rose City, Texas and Dayton Huffman Horse Center in Dayton, Texas.  All these people keep me roping.  Team roping is all about the support you have.
          “You know it is a tight roping when .41 seconds separate the first and second place team in the average,” Graves pointed out.  “The roping was tight and competitive.  It was no wonder I needed to focus on staying aggressive.  We had to rope aggressive. I’m glad it worked out.  Roping for the truck and tractor is so unbelievable.”
          I’m still not real sure what runs through roper’s minds.  Perhaps that is the interesting part.  When you get to this level of roping it all becomes instinct because you don’t have a lot of time for thought.