Search This Blog

Oct 27, 2014

#13 Shoot Out Monday Oct 27 2014 National Finals


#13 Shoot Out
2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Monday October 27, 2014
By Melinda Clements

          If Dylan Cosper and Paden Bray felt pressure or struggled with nerves it wasn’t evident to the casual observer.  Everyone else might have been on the edge of their seats but Cosper and Bray seemed, as the saying goes, “cucumber cool.”
          Cosper and Bray were the eighth high team back going into the short go round of the #13 Shoot Out at the 2014 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  Bray was also the high team back with partner, Jackie Crawford.
          Bray, it seemed, had an axe to grind.  In his words he was seeking redemption.  He had lost his rope to win the #15 Shoot Out with partner Cory Smothers earlier during the weekend.
          Cosper and Bray roped their short go round steer in 7.31 seconds to take the lead in the average of the #13 Shoot Out.  Thus began a waiting game through seven more teams including Bray.
          “I was nervous just sitting there waiting,” Cosper said. “My phone had broken earlier so I was just sitting there waiting. It was a little nerve wrecking.”
          “Once I got the first steer out of the way with Dylan I was okay,” Bray commented. “I wanted to win really bad.  I had lost my rope to win the #15 Shoot Out and I guess I was seeking redemption. I have a lot of faith in my partners. I always have some really good partners and I have a lot of faith in what this roping is. I’ve been coming here a long time.”
          Bray, no doubt, has grown up in the USTRC.  He grew up doing Junior Looper and just seemed to slide into the ranks as a regular roper.  Cosper and Bray have been roping together going on two years or so.
          “We don’t get to practice,” Cosper said. “We just rope the ropings. It sure worked well today.  I cannot even grasp what just happened.  It has not sunk in that we just won the #13 Shoot Out at the US Finals.”
          Cosper and Bray had roped together earlier in the year at Waco and it was a compatible pairing.
          “Dylan is great to rope with,” Bray complimented. “He never misses and I have all the faith in the world in him.”
          “In team roping you need good partner,” Cosper returned the compliment. “Paden is a good one.”
          Amid tears from family members, hugs of congratulations and cell phones buzzing the pair was a bit overwhelmed with all the attention.  It means a lot to Bray that he has so much support from family. 
          “My grandmother from Montana is here and I get little messages on my phone from other family members,” Bray said. “I was able to ride my cousin’s mare to win this roping. I appreciate Presli loaning her to me.” He smiled and continued, “Guess I’ll have to figure out some way to pay her back. Presli and my Uncle Kirk have been really supportive and I appreciate them letting me use her.”
          Cosper figures the pair will continue to rope together. 
          “It still hasn’t sunk in what just happened here today,” Cosper repeated. “It is a bit unreal.  Just realizing you have a shot and do something like this; well, it still has not sunk in.”
          Cosper and Bray walked out of the prize area looking at $93,600, Martin Championship Trophy Saddles, Gist Championship Gold Buckles, Tony Lama Ostrich Boots and Western Horseman Collector Prints.  Cosper plans to look for another heading horse so he can keep roping and continue the trend. 
          “For me the horse is everything,” Cosper explained. “I need to find another one.”
          Both young men seemed a little bit numb.  Bray immediately replaced his old buckle with his new one.  Amid congratulations and well-wishers the pair seemed a bit in awe and perhaps a little shocked.  It would sink at some point and both ropers would embrace what really happened. 
          They say team roping changes us.  Cosper and Bray will testify it happens really, really fast and it is an experience like no other.