Search This Blog

Nov 6, 2015

2015 USTRC Cruel Girl Year End Champion Jessy Remsburg


2015 Cruel Girl Year End Champion
Jessy Remsburg
2015 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
By Melinda Clements

         Jessy Remsburg is kind of quiet and reserved.  She doesn’t talk much but there is no denying the lady loves team roping. It is very obvious roping is her passion. 
         “I’ve been roping all my life,” Remsburg said. “I turned my first steer when I was probably ten years old.”
         Originally a header, Remsburg has spent the last three years or so making heeling her focus.
         “Heeling is the biggest challenge for me,” she said. “I used to head in the past but now I work at and focus on heeling.”
         Remsburg is the USTRC 2015 Cruel Girl Year End Champion.  She won $56,461. 50 during the year as a competitor at USTRC events and takes home a beautiful custom made Martin Championship Trophy Saddle for her efforts.        
         Remsburg didn’t really know she was in contention for the award.
         “It all kind of comes down to who does what and how well at the Finals. I came in leading last year but I didn’t do well and didn’t place during the Finals.  I had never won at the USTRC National Finals but I won my first check here at the Finals this year.”
         She roped well and placed with partner, Jackie Crawford, in the # 12 Gold Plus and did well with partner, Jaxson Tucker, in the # 11 Shoot Out which helped boost her earnings and helped her secure the award.
         “I rope with different partners but now Beverly Robbins is my regular partner.  I recently moved closer to where she lives so we can rope together.  We can practice together and will probably haul together.”
         Remsburg feels the practice pen and horsemanship are crucial in a sport like team roping.  She has seven-year-old horse she bought as a two year old for $600 and has, in essence, made the horse herself except for a short stint with Steve Orth.
         “I started Cajun but could never quiet get over the hump to finish him so I sent him to Steve Orth for thirty days and when he came back he was absolutely awesome.  The horse means absolutely everything to me and I owe everything to him.  I take one main horse everywhere I go and that is Cajun.”
         Because Remsburg has the luxury to be able to practice everyday she uses the practice to build her confidence.
         “The practice pen for me is where I work on building my confidence,” she explained. “I rope behind some good people so if I get frustrated or am having a bad day I can back off and start fresh the next day. Fighting it never helps me so I just stop for a minute and start over fresh.  I guess I struggle with the corner so in the practice pen I slow everything down. You have to keep at it everyday and not give up.”
         Remsburg made it to the High School National Finals as a breakaway roper but not in the team roping. She commented she has not roped a breakaway calf since.
         “I want to try to make team roping my business,” Remsburg said when asked about her future plans.  “I’ll keep roping and possibly go to work for Beverly Robbins.  I really appreciate the support of the USTRC and Cruel Girl for giving this award.  It gives a girl something to look forward to and something to shoot at.”
         Our congratulations to Jessy Remsburg for her love and commitment to the sport of team roping.  Thank you for being an ambassador and congratulations on being the USTRC 2015 Cruel Girl Year End Champion.