Search This Blog

Oct 28, 2012

# 9 Preliminary Sat Oct 27 2012


#9 Preliminary 
Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Saturday October 27, 2012
Oklahoma State Fairgrounds Coliseum
By Melinda Clements

         One of the amazing things about the Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping is a lot of things happen during the nine-day event.  The roping touches lives and lots of “firsts” happen during the week. 
         For young heeler Jake Cooper Clay it was the first time he had ever made the short go round at the USTRC Finals.  Before the short go round ended there were several more “firsts” to be added to the list.
         The #9 Preliminary at the 2012 USTRC NFTR would pay $22,500 for first place in the average plus Martin Championship Trophy Saddles and a National Shoot Out spot.  The top thirty teams coming back in the short go round would get paid and the competition was fierce.  Every single team wanted a part of the action. A little over four seconds separated the top six teams coming into the short go round. It was going to be a matter of making a mistake free run and staying focused.
         When the sixth high team back posted a time of 8.70 the heat peaked.  The roping went to a whole new level and everyone focused on catching and making a solid run.
         Jack Foreman and Jake Cooper Clay was the fourth high team back.  They were happy with fourth and focused on a solid clean run.  The pair posted a time of 8.44 and tucked an assured fourth place in their pockets.  There were three teams to go.
         Waiting for the top three teams to rope wasn’t even an issue for Foreman and Clay because they were satisfied with how things had turned out.  Imagine their surprise when the top three teams had issues and the win of the average in the #9 Preliminary sat down in their laps.
         “I didn’t know what to think,” Clay said with a huge grin on his face.  “I was kind of nervous and I just wanted to catch and make a good consistent run.  The is my first time ever to make the short go round at the Finals.”
         “I was thinking we ended up fourth which is very good,” Foreman said. “Then we were third and then second and I couldn’t imagine it coming together for first. It is very exciting.”
         The pair practice together and their win is a subtle hint of the time spent in the practice pen. 
         “I like to slow things down a bit,” Foreman said. “I think Jake likes things to move a little faster. The horsemanship is vital. If you are riding your horses it helps you handle cattle and you learn to set things up for your partner.”
         The pair obviously have a lot of support, assistance and encouragement.
         “My wife was crying when I told her about the win,” Foreman said. “Jake and I have been roping together a long time.  His family is supportive and as a teacher I’ve known them for years.”
         Clay agreed.  He feels he has a great deal of encouragement and help.
         “Cactus Ropes is my sponsor and Pro Equine supports me.  The horse I’m riding belongs to Mock Brothers Saddlery in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. All of those sponsors have been a great support to me.  My mom and dad support me also and do all they can to help me rope and win.  I’m hoping I can use some of my money to buy this horse.  My dad trained him and he worked really well.  I couldn’t do without all the help I have.”
         As it turned out the #9 Preliminary was an avenue for Foreman to win his first USTRC Saddle. It was Clay’s first time to make a finals short go round and win his first USTRC saddle as well. It also happened to be the first time the duo had won that much money together.  In fact neither had ever won that much money. 
         The # 9 Preliminary was in the history books.  It is one of those memories tucked in your heart and neither Foreman nor Clay will ever forget how it all came together. There were all kinds of “first” during the week of the NFTR and Foreman and Clay will always cherish their win here. Those are some “firsts” they will never ever forget.