Search This Blog

Oct 26, 2012

# 11 Preliminary Thurs. Oct 25 2012


#11 Preliminary
Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Thursday October 25, 2012
Oklahoma State Fairgrounds Coliseum
By Melinda Clements

         There is a certain comfort zone available to us all in knowing others support us, assure us and believe in us.  Fourteen-year-old Ty Harris knew his heeler, Wesley Thorp, would come in and rope two heels if he caught for him.  His focus was just on catching in the short go round.  Everything else would be taken care of.  Sometimes you just do the best you can and let everything else work itself out.
         Ty Harris and Wesley Thorp were the tenth place high call back team going into the short go round of the #11 Preliminary at the Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  It was going to be tough short round.  There were a lot of young guns involved in this roping and every single one of the thirty teams coming back in the short go round had money on their minds.  First place in the average would pay $22,700.
         “We didn’t want to overanalyze the roping,” both Thorp and Harris agreed.  They had roped well all day.
         “We just wanted to focus on catching and making a good run.  All week I had concentrated on catching,” Harris said.
         “I had struggled all week,” Thorp commented. “I had trouble with the mental part and I had not won much so I just wanted to slow things down and focus on what I had to do. I guess I just wanted to rope right.”
         The pair took the lead in the average with a short go time of 8.13. It was a good solid run and the pair was okay with the idea they had done well.  They knew first through tenth would pay.
         However, there seemed to be a bigger plan at work.  It quickly became obvious that pressure, nerves, or even over analysis was delving into the thoughts and actions of the teams in the short go round of the # 11 Preliminary.
         Incredibly, team after team began to struggle.  It was a rapture of head games as several teams went out in the short go round when they failed to make qualified runs.
         “We should have bumped it up,” Harris thought as he watched the short go round unravel. “By the time the fifth high team back went out I actually thought we might have a chance at first place.”
         “Our numbers fit together so we roped,” Thorp said. “I didn’t really think we could win being the tenth team down.”
         With several unqualified runs the pressure finally rested on the high call back team of Ky and Paden Bray.  It was suddenly an all mental game and it was a precarious place to be.  The Bray’s needed an 11.71 to take the win in the average.  The pressure was all theirs and it was a tedious situation.  When the pair posted a 14.27 on their short round steer realization struck home with full force.  For Harris and Thorp it was hard to understand. Harris and Thorp had actually come from tenth to first and won the #11 Preliminary at the Cinch USTRC NFTR.  It was overwhelming and totally unbelievable.
         “I knew first through tenth place paid good.  I didn’t really think about first,” Thorp said. “We didn’t sit down and plan anything it just sort of worked out.”
         “My family is very supportive,” Harris said. “I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my big brother to rope with me.  I knew Wesley would catch and I just wanted to do my part.”
         Sometimes things come together that direct us toward bigger and better things.  Sometimes you don’t plan, over analyze or dictate.  You just go do the best you can and that in and of itself is the first step toward greatness.