Search This Blog

Nov 1, 2016

#9 Shoot Out NFTR Sunday Oct 30 2016 Smith and Schrader


#9 Shoot Out
2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping
Sunday October 30 2016
Korie Smith and Robby Schrader
By Melinda Clements

         The wind shifted to the north and it was cooler in a strange sort of way.  There was a new kind of excitement in the air at the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  This day was a bit different than the previous days.  It had been nine days of absolutely awesome team roping. 
         Perhaps the difference was that this was the last day and everyone was a bit anxious.  More so, it was the sixth sense that said more was going on than met the eyes.  It was a heart thing, almost spiritual.  It almost made you shiver because there was something, literally heavenly, about the #9 Shoot Out.  You had to be an integral part to understand and yet when you realized the intense emotional connections you couldn’t help but discover that we all have kindred spirits and angels that watch out and direct us. We all have ties to bigger and greater things.
         Such was the case with the winners of the #9 Shoot Out at this year’s NFTR.  At first you couldn’t put your finger on it but the excitement was contagious and it suddenly touched all involved.
         Team Roping can be an emotional sport.  A lot of hard work and discipline and money go into the event.  More than that, however, is the commitment and love that family and close friends add to the event.  It isn’t one person; it is a legion of supporters, mentors, and helpers, guides, teachers and counselors.
         “Robby called me and said ‘Let’s rope’ and we did,” said Texas header, Korie Smith.  “We have roped together some but we live too far apart to practice. I agreed to rope.  This roping was different.  Today was God’s plan.  This one is for my dad.” She fought hard to suppress the emotion and tears.  “I lost my dad a little over a year ago. He was my hero, my mentor. He meant everything to me.  All I do and all I am I owe to him.  This one is for him.”
         Ironically, heeler Robby Schrader, was feeling the same way.  Not only was Schrader good friends with Korie’s dad but Schrader had a mentor as well. Gary Sutton with Sutton Ropes had always been a mentor and advisor to Schrader.
         “Gary could always tell me, even on the phone, what I was doing wrong,” Schrader said about his friend.  “My arm was hurting and I couldn’t rope.  I was to the point of quitting and he said, ‘I’ve got the rope for you’. I miss him.  He always knew and told me what I needed to do.”
         Smith and Schrader were the second high team back coming into the short go round of the #9 Shoot Out held the last day of the 2016 Cinch USTRC National Finals of Team Roping.  It was an awesome roping.  Thirty teams were coming back in the short go round with a paycheck to the top fifteen.
         The prize line was awesome.  Not only would first place in the average pay a whopping $100,000 but also the winners would take home Martin Championship Trophy Saddles, Gist Championship Buckles, Tony Lama Boots and Western Horseman Collector’s Prints.
         Smith and Schrader had to be a 9.48 to take the lead away from the third high team Octavio Espinoza and Arnoldo Luevano.  Espinoza and Luevano were leading the roping with a time of 36.04 on four head of steers. Luevano was also coming back with Baltazar Gonzalez as the high team.
         “Team Roping is a mental game,” Smith explained. “I just try to rope one steer at a time.  This roping was for my dad.  I’m riding a horse that belongs to my sister. I just wanted to make a clean run. This one was for my dad. This one is for family.”
         When Smith nodded and Schrader made the heeling shot everything came together and they wrapped up the run with a time of 8.60 to take the lead from Espinoza and Luevano with one team left to rope.  The high team posted a time of 9.87, however, it wasn’t enough to move Smith and Schrader and they took the win with a time of 35.15 on four head.
         The awards room was a bedlam of people, cameras, and excited well-wishers.  Smith and Schrader seemed a little shell-shocked.
         “This is my first time ever to be in the room,” Schrader said emotionally. “I have to give God the glory and am so thankful for Gary Sutton and Sutton Ropes.  Gary was always such a good mentor for me.”
         As pictures snapped, videos rolled and cell phones rang it seemed Smith and Schrader might have been trying to soak it all in.  It was, perhaps, at this moment that I felt they were hearing other voices and acknowledging those that had given their all to put the pair in this place at this point in time.
         Perhaps, those kindred spirits that had laid a foundation and counseled for greatness was rejoicing as Smith and Schrader secretly gave them credit.
         Korie’s mom, Sharon, commented, “About five years ago Korie’s dad talked her into roping steers. He passed away last year and this is such an emotional time. They meant everything to each other.  There are no words to explain what winning this roping means.”
         This was the first USTRC National Finals saddle for both Smith and Schrader.  It will be a day neither of them will ever forget. 
         There is a celebration about the last day of the NFTR.  Lives were changed this week.  Lives were changed today.  Team roping is not only for those here today but there are ties to those we’ve loved and lost that have made a difference in all it involves because team roping mattered. Team roping changes lives and it is an integral part of every roper’s life that rode into the roping box at this year’s NFTR.  As the winds shifted new voices are heard.  There is a reason it is called “America’s Cowboy Sport!”